If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style. ~ Quentin Crisp
Failure, it is when one flunks an exam. When one doesn't get the job one has been eyeing, has been working hard for. When one runs after a bus and falls flat on one's face. When one works and toils and researches and does one homework dutifully and still does not get what one is after. Because the stars and the planets refuse to align, and there are too many stars and planets up there, I think I will never get them to align the way I want them to.
I think I know it intimately, failure, I know its ugly face so well. I thought about it while driving home from work yesterday. I know it so intimately I know when it has about to decide to visit me, I can hear its footsteps and smell its faint scent.
I am still thinking about Giuliana Rancic (and Marilyn Monroe). I wonder if they thought they were failures. I suspect they never did. "It's just life", I imagine they'd say, and then they'd go on drinking their coffee, looking gorgeous.
That's what I've been trying to do all morning. "It's just life," I've been saying to my coffee cup. And I went on to drink my coffee, although I am not looking gorgeous. Not at all. But it's just life.
I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. ~ Marilyn Monroe (1926 - 1962)
image from http://tips4health.net
No comments:
Post a Comment